Saturday, August 15, 2009

productivity

i'm intrigued by the idea of productivity. is this an american obsession? sitting down to read a book, or watch a movie--that's considered unproductive. today, i sat on my bottom and watched tv from 11am to 4pm. i caught up on a british tv show that i had missed a few episodes of, i crocheted and made some progress on my current project, and most people would consider it a waste of a day. i thoroughly enjoyed my day. i love the tv show, and i felt like i got something done. i didn't do any lesson planning and i didn't go hiking and i didn't clean my bathroom, but i enjoyed myself. isn't that more important?

i don't feel like i'm wasting time if i do any of those other things, but in the long run, are they any more significant? if i had cleaned my bathroom, it wouldn't have made my day any better. i'm gonna do it tomorrow, but it's just not that big a deal. eh. whatever. most of my friends in vegas are very busy people. they're constantly telling what they were able to accomplish, and i feel like a lazy bum for saying, "oh, I read for three hours." I always get comments like, "I don't have time to read."

I do.

and i have time to watch tv. and relax. and enjoy myself. i'm going to try and stop feeling guilty for doing things that i enjoy. i don't enjoy being outside in the heat. that includes hiking, biking, running, rock climbing or any of the other "outdoorsy" things that vegas is all about. i would much rather watch Coming to America on comedy central for the 25th time then go climb up a mountain and see a valley. sorry. not interested.

i hate living here.

on a lighter note, i just turned on my tv and started watching Coming to America, and sadly, the song that jumped into my head was not one by neil diamond, but one from The Lion King . specifically, the version of "Circle of Life" from the beginning...

ah! sevenya mommomeeee see wa wa
enya yay. enya yay
ah! sevenya momomeneeee see wa woah
enya yay enya yay.

(that's my own, personal, interpretation of the words at the beginning) jealous?

here's a fun story to end this post: at the end of the swahili part, there's a refrain that goes something along the lines of "he menyama he menyamabana; he menyama he menyama bana." in junior high, two of my friends interpreted those lines as "pink pajamas, penguins on the bottom; pink pajamas penguins on the bottom." when we were in high school, at the end of lunch every day, they would ask each other if they had anything in their teeth. BUT, instead of just saying "hey, is there anything in my teeth?" they had a code: "pink pajamas penguins on the top?" which meant "is there anything in my teeth?" if they were clear, the other would respond by saying "pink pajamas penguins on the bottom."

next time you hear that song from The Lion King, try NOT to hear "pink pajamas penguins on the bottom."

and I realize that this post will be dated for Saturday, August 15, but i haven't gone to bed yet, so in my world, it is still friday. it'll look like i skipped a day and posted twice on saturday, but don't believe it. the calendar lies.

this is august 14. day 3

No comments: